26 August 2007

Who Cut Him in Half?

One night last week Trinh & I strolled out to get the mail, her perched on my shoulders. There was a bright half-moon out, and I pointed it out to her. She made a comment about the moon being a ball...but broken. [Literal Vietnamese: "Mặt trăng ban hư rồi!"]

I said, "Yes, dear, that's right! When the moon is barely visible but growing each night, we say it's a "new moon" that is "waxing". When it's round like a ball, we call it a "full moon". When it's getting smaller, we say it's "waning". When it's like this, we say it's a "half-moon". See, it looks sorta like somebody took a ball and cut it in half!" She nodded.

Technically, it's either First Quarter or Last Quarter, but hell if I can even keep the waxing / waning thing straight. It's cutting into my fishing down here, too, what with trying to understand the bloody tides and all.

Besides, there's no point in confusing the girl on such matters. She can figure out the finer points *after* she turns three. And somewhere along the line she'll also figure out that I don't actually know much about most of the stuff I've tried to teach her. That should be a fun day for both of us, oh yes...

Anyway. She thought about that for a minute or two, then said, "The moon has a face. Who cut him in half?"

No comments: