18 September 2007

Saving the Daddy

I stepped on a water moccasin yesterday.  That's usually not a good idea, but I got away with it. 

I'd slipped out to the local bayou (read: ditch) for a few minutes of pleasurable (if futile) indulgence:  chasing carp with a fly rod.  I walked through the high grass towards the water, and my final step close to the bank landed on something softer than expected.  I stepped back quickly, then looked down upon what appeared to be coils of a very large, dead snake. 

Except that he wasn't dead.  Some gentle prodding with the rod tip provoked no reaction, and for a few fatal seconds I entertained the idea of reaching down with my hand.  Fortunately, common sense took over and I poked a bit harder with the rod instead.

He exploded -- but away from me, towards the water.  Naturally, that simple fact didn't keep me from leaping approximately 11 feet in the air and taking 17 steps backwards in one smooth, graceful motion punctuated by one very loud expletive.

Not only did he spoke the carp I was chasing, he spooked me too.  I fished for a few minutes, then retreated to go pick up Trinh.

When I told Trinhity on the way home that I'd seen a big snake, she reached out her little arms and said, "Trinh protect Daddy!  Trinh save Daddy!  Trinh tìm Daddy and đánh! đánh! đánh! con rắn!" 
(last sentence:  "Trinh finds Daddy and whack whack whack the snake!")

2 comments:

persephone said...

hmmm, aren't you supposed to be protecting *her*?

Diane said...

Wish I could have seen that smooth move! Trinh to the rescue!