05 September 2007

Vindicated

It seems to be common knowledge that Trinhity's proficiency in Vietnamese passed Daddy by roughly seven months ago -- much to my chagrin.  For awhile I couldn't decide to be pleased with her prowess or disappointed in my own.  Since then she has taken to translating for me, graciously instructing me when there are words I don't know, and (publicly) correcting my incurable pronunciation.

But today....today I feel vindicated!

You see, today it happened to Mommy, too.  Trinh wanted to play on the slide at the playground, and she told the Mama in perfectly clear Vietnamese:  "Trinh muốn đi chơi cầu trượt."  Thing is, Mama didn't know "cầu trượt", at least not in that sense.

I'd have given anything to have witnessed this.  Apparently Trinh got fairly annoyed and told Huong that she wasn't saying it right, then painstakingly corrected her.

Ahhh...it's so nice to have company.  But at this rate, I'm positive she'll be off to college within weeks -- perhaps to study linguistics.

1 comment:

persephone said...

We may have to send you both back to Viet language school.