25 April 2008

Falling in Love

Daddy here, finally -- and with a seriously sappy blog entry. The other day Trinh & I were playing hide-and-seek in a small quasi-wooded section of our local park. At one point I jumped out from behind a tree to "find" her, only to find a strange, almost forlorn look on her face.

"Daddy," she said, shyly, "I want to fall in love with you."

[oooof-dah]

It took me seconds or minutes to recover, I'm not sure which. I finally stammered out something lame and cliché like "Well, Daddy fell in love with you the moment he saw you." The moment passed, and we went back to hiding and finding.

I've thought about that plenty over the last week. Clichés annoy me, sometimes nearly nauseate me. I firmly believe that the Demotivational Posters touted by despair.com strike exactly the right tone.

And yet, I'm a consultant in most senses of the word. To radically misquote Holmes, "...[the buzzwords which I employ], and which appear to you to be so chimerical, are really extremely practical – so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese.”

Thus, often to my chagrin, I trade in cliché. That's part of why this one hit me.

From another's tongue, "falling in love" would have struck me as grossly cliché. But from my daughter, at that time and place, full of innocence and devoid of irony...it simply struck me. Hard.

I may never recover. May it always be thus.

1 comment:

Janine Evans said...

oy. that's a good one!