15 September 2008

Ikey Ikey (sing to the tune of Iko Iko)

My back fence and your back fence
Ikey Ikey uh-nay
Betcha we'll get no recompense
Ikey Ikey uh-nay...

Daddy here again. Well, we survived. The storm was...impressive. We didn't catch the brunt of it -- we were on the more gentle 'backside' of the eye, meaning less wind and rain. Still, this one was just about as serious as I need to see up-close-and-personal, and I don't envy the folks farther east.



We lost two small trees entirely, plus some large branches off our bigger trees. It shredded our fences, but most of those were nearly rotten anyway. Here's the aftermath:
Other folks got it much worse. This was only a few streets away...

The big news for our neighborhood is that four electrical poles went down: threes snapped in half, one snapped off at the ground. I've driven by it a couple times now, just marveling at the force required to snap a power pole in half...



Yes, he drove across the wires. No, he didn't die. Apparently, Darwin misses occasionally.


Thus, we might not have power for awhile, and my office might be closed for a week. On the flipside, I've discovered that the Nestle Toll House Cookie Factory has free wireless internet access. This could be a fattening week....

Fortunately, a cold front just moved in and dropped temperatures into the reasonable range, so it's not quite so uncomfortable without A/C or fans. But we do have running water, and we're fine on food. Grocery stores are opening again -- and now I know where to find cookies.

The neighborhood has been dramatically more neighborly than at any time since we've lived here. I mean, we're notoriously anti-social, but the last two days everyone has been hanging around outside, leaning on our rakes and comparing notes with folks, loaning tools, musing over when the lights will come on, and generally agreeing that it could've been much, much worse.

Last night the folks across the street grilled all the thawed meat in their freezer and threw a helluva street party. Taison has sensed the break from routine, and I'm convinced that Trinhity will want to do all of this again next weekend -- it's been non-stop fun and games for her.

She made a new friend, too...


Hell, I haven't gotten to climb trees and run around on the roof and play with so many manly tools myself in years. If I were 13, I'd be having the time of my life.

All told, not bad. Frankly, I'm quite pleased to have missed most of the media coverage of this thing. I've listened to the radio a couple times, and it's just out-of-touch and depressing. The silence has been enjoyable -- no power = no drone of air conditioners (or Tejano). I'll be mildly bummed to return to Situation Normal.

OK, that's the scoop. Back to my work e-mail...and my cookies. Thanks for the concern, all the best to you all....

1 comment:

mina's mommy said...

wow. thank God yall are alright, and wow. look at that uprooted tree!