13 August 2009

Cancun on $5

BACKGROUND: I work for my wife, both literally and figuratively. Among other things, like making me beg to be a Senior VP in a two person corporation, this means that she does the accounting.

The Mama-san HATES accounting. So do I, but at least she actually has math skills. When it's time to do the taxes, Mama gets very, very cranky. Taxes are serious business around here.

Last night was Trinh & Daddy Spa Night, something we do whenever Mama takes Tai-Tai to Nha Ong Ba so she can get a decent night's sleep. It seems that BaBa is the only one of us who can get the Little Dude to sleep through the night.

After the usual TDSN activities, Trinh & I were hanging out in the office. I was hacking at a pesky Ubuntu problem and she was drawing pictures. She popped up to show me one of them and announced with deadly seriousness that she was doing her taxes. I cracked up. She sulked and make it clear that this was not a laughing matter. Serious stuff, I'm telling ya.

So today Trinh brought Mama a sheaf of lined yellow paper with some scribbles on it and asked for help tearing the page out. She very somberly told Mama that these were her taxes.

She went on to explain that she had just finished her taxes because she had to find money so that we can go on vacation. She put her hand in her pocket, pulled out a cupped (empty) hand and said, "Look, Mama, I have money now. I have $5."

Mama asked, "Will that be enough money for vacation?" Trinh said, "Yeah." Then the Mama-san asked where we were going to go on vacation....

Trinh replied, "Cancun."

No comments: